Monday, April 19, 2010

Tiny Dancer & The Ambassador





Our family was featured in an article for Adoption Today Magazine!





Last month I had the opportunity to be a part of a special weekend. To raise money for the LUKA International Foundation and their work in Zambia, the LUKA board hosted Dr. Inonge Mbikusita-Lewanika, Ambassador of the Republic of Zambia to the United States of America. She spoke at our Zambia auction and helped make the evening spectacular. One of the items up for bid was a huge painting by artist Jerrod Smith. It was amazing and the pic I post doesn't even come close to doing it justice!

Anyway, that's the best I could do with my iPhone. I didn't win the bid and have finally stopped shedding tears about it! :o) By the way, Debbi M., if you are reading this, I may need to come over and visit my painting soon! ;o) With all joking aside, it was truly an amazing weekend. Oh, and come to find out, Jerrod Smith (the artist) is my aunt Debi's cousin! Crazy!

I was able to attend a dinner that Friday night and the Ambassador spoke about the Zambian way of life and the needs of the people. It was beyond fascinating. The need is so great...from the lack of education, the AIDS epidemic to the orphan crisis. What an amazing and Godly woman she is. At the auction on Saturday, she said this...

"If you invest in a child, you change a community, you change a nation & I believe you change the world."

and this may be one of my favorite quotes of all time...

"If we only invest in our biological children, someday they will come across the children whom we didn't invest in and either way...we lose our investment."

Wow.

She said so many great things...I had to start writing stuff down!

Thanks Debbi & the LUKA International Foundation for letting me join in on such a moving weekend!


2 comments:

Nadra said...

Drew was sitting on my lap watching the videos. He said "is this the dancing show mommy?" Who needs Dancing With The Stars when the Tucker girls are around. Love it!

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful girls. The video shows their love for dance....very cute! Do you happen to have a copy of the article that Adoption Today Magazine did on your family that you could send me? I would like to read it.

What a wonderful opportunity to learn more about a different culture and their needs and find out ways to help. Blessings to you as you journey where God leads.

April :-)
pfeiffer4@verizon.net