Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hollywood Loves India!

Okay, I don't need to say anything about Slumdog. If you've read my blog, you know my love for this movie! Good to see that Hollywood got it right this time! They rarely get anything right!

"Smile Pinki" won for best short documentary. I hadn't heard about this one, but I'm gonna track it down! I first heard about "Born Into Brothels" via the Oscars (BIB won for best documentary) so I guess watching the Oscars has some benefit!



If you haven't seen this documentary yet, go rent it. Dustin and I had to go to the Art Museum downtown to watch it, but when it came out on video we bought it. Here's Born Into Brothels:



If any of you saw the Oscars, I hope you caught the performances by A.R. Rahman (two of the three songs up for best original song were his). The performance included what I would guess as about 20-30 female dancers dressed in beautiful, traditional Indian clothes who danced to "O...Saya." They were later joined by the same number of male dancers and they all danced to the song that eventually won, "Jai Ho." I must say, Mia and I like "O...Saya", but "Jai Ho" is fun. Mia calls "O...Saya" the drum song. She always wants to hear the drum song! Anyway, it did my heart good to see a small part of Indian culture being celebrated in America for all the world to see!

From the second she came home, I have always played Indian music for her. She has her favorites and requests them all the time. I hope I'm able to make Indian music just some of the sounds of her childhood. I want it to be so familiar that she doesn't think twice when hearing it. I must say, it is no great sacrifice for me to listen to it! I'm a fan!

To change the subject a bit...move over Barack Obama...Mia has a new crush! More details to come...

2 comments:

Nadra said...

OK, that's it. No more TV for Mia. Ian is just being pushed to the side and I'm...I mean he's going to be so upset. :)

Had the chance to finally see Slumdog Millionaire on Saturday night. LOVED IT. Cried like crazy afterwards just thinking about India and our kids. Great, great, great, great movie.

We must get together soon. Love you guys a bunch and I'm just sad that we don't see more of one another.

Amy said...

I loved Slumdog and Born into Brothels - both very sobering movies. I am so excited that Hollywood is taking notice of these films.